We are seeking a highly-creative and results-driven candidate to head our engineering operations in Belgium. You are an experienced system engineer with a never-ending curiosity for innovative technologies. You have successfully advanced products from ideation to product launch. You approach and solve problems in a pragmatic way. Ambiguity and the unknown do not discourage you. You have a strong work-ethic, are self-driven, and value integrity. You under-promise & over-deliver. You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where mastering multiple hard & soft skills is key. Your ego doesn’t stand in the way of the team’s progress. The unique opportunity to shape your role and create your own growth path triggers you. You are not afraid of moonshots.
Role & Responsibilities
- Oversee the development of the holistic MouSensor Solution from start-to-finish with a scalable commercial product in mind as an end goal.
- Think cross-disciplinary as you’ll be managing collaborations with a team of bio-engineers, world leading (microfluidic) chip experts, cartridge manufacturers, software developers & data scientists. Optimal knowledge transfer between all parties will be your responsibility.
- Outline and oversee the product development plan (budget, timing & resources) from a product holistic point of view working towards value inflection points on a business strategy level.
- Work in sync with and/or steer software developers and data scientists to come to a holistic solution.
- Work in sync with our Belgian-based Managing Director to ensure that important milestones are met timely & in a highly structured manner, in line with the business strategy.
- Help write and submit grant proposals to leverage on Belgian & European non-dilutive funding sources.
- Identify problems (root cause analysis), communicate them, and pro-actively develop solutions.
- Prepare weekly updates and report directly to the Executive team in the US and Belgium.
- A Master’s or PhD science degree in Electrical Engineering, Bio-engineering Nanoscience and Nanotechnology or Industrial Engineering with relevant field expertise or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of experience in product development within any of the following domains: optomechanics, microfluidics, nano-electronics, software and data processing. A prior experience of bringing products with a similar system architecture to market will be strongly valued.
- Master different stages of new product development going from feasibility studies & conceptualization to design & prototyping to verification/validation testing and ultimately production & scaling.
- Relevant experience in chip design and/or microfluidics (plastics or silicon) and/or cartridge design & manufacturing and/or optical readout system are a must.
- Excellent project management ability where efficiency is key, knowledge of the lean startup method is appreciated.
- Strong system architecture thinking is a sine qua none, building bridges to software system architecture and data architecture is desired.
- Experience in developing medical devices such as IVD devices as well experience in implementing ISO13485 QMS or in applying EU (CE) & US (FDA) directives, standards & regulations is considered a plus.
- As we are a high-tech company, a good sense of IPR implementation (patents, FTO, filings) is considered a plus.
- Relevant experience with biology-on-chip platforms is a clear plus.
- Understanding of biology and/or olfaction is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills, proficiency in English is a must.
- This is a Belgian-based position however excitement to travel to NYC is expected.
- Being a fun person to work with is a determining factor!
- As an agile start-up company with a disruptive technology at its base, we offer you the chance to build a disruptive career and drive with us a break-through in a nearly virgin field of science and technology.
- You’ll be the given the chance to lead and shape our chip product development in Belgium.
- We offer a competitive salary with attractive additional benefits.
- We offer an international working experience in a diverse team of driven personalities.
MouSensor, The Odoromics Company
MouSensor, Inc. is an early-stage biotech start-up, headquartered in New York City with a Belgian subsidiary located in Leuven. We are building a living nose-on-a-chip with the bold vision to detect, discover and digitize every single smell on the planet; from the fragrances in a perfumer’s palette to the odors associated with diseases such as Parkinson’s disease. It is our mission to decode the last mystery of the senses and to build the first-ever digital database of smell.
MouSensor’s core technology was developed at the Feinstein Lab for Neurogenetics at Hunter College, CUNY by our co- founders, Prof. Paul Feinstein (CSO), a world expert in the molecular biology of olfaction and Dr. Charlotte D’Hulst (CEO), a trained bio-engineer and proud alumna of the University of Antwerp and the KULeuven.
MouSensor is pleased to be an equal opportunity employer. It is part of our culture to create an inclusive environment in attracting talented employees from all walks of life. This applies to all employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Interested applicants, please contact us at email@example.com with your resume and cover letter that tells us how you can make a difference in our team.
“It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people, so they can tell us what to do.”
Posted on January 15, 2019.